Teen voters lack knowledge

There is more to the election than just names. Behind the names Mitt Romney and Barack Obama there is a point or few on the national economy, gay marriage laws, foreign policies and taxes.

Most young voters only see Obama as the current president of the United States, a historic figure as the first African American President and a symbol of hope and change in America. However, if questioned, most young voters would have no idea what Obama’s stance is on any given political issue. They instead look back four years to Obama’s first campaign where he had the support of almost all young voters, and was looked upon highly as he brought radical new ideas to the country, such as ObamaCare and simply the idea of the being the first African American president.

The young voters of today fail to look into the progress, or lack thereof, that Obama has made over the last four years.

Due to their lack of knowledge, most of this year’s young voters won’t even look at Obama’s opposition and explore what new ideas this year’s Republican candidate, Mitt Romney, brings to the election.

Even if the young voters of today would spend 20 less minutes on Twitter or watching Jersey Shore, and instead take the time to watch a part of the presidential debate they would see the facts behind Obama and the real amount of progress he has or hasn’t made.

Young voters should form their own opinions and gain knowledge to support them. It is OK to have your opinion that may differ from your parents’, neighbors’ or best friend’s. Being young is a time where most try to “fit in” or be popular. When it comes to elections that needs to be set aside and real opinions and facts need to be brought out.

As a young voter if you find yourself looking to become more educated in the politics of today, try watching the presidential debates on TV or checking out websites.

Don’t be afraid to step out against the popular vote and have your own opinion as a young voter. When stepping into the polls this November step in knowing that you are placing your vote as an informed and educated voter with an opinion all their own.