Fall program should better recognize all fall athletes

Along with the leaves changing color and the switch from shorts to jeans, fall also brings the LHS fall sports program.

And that’s where the controversy comes in.

This year, the LHS fall sports program came out as usual — but with some noticeable errors. For example: the Freshmen Volleyball team’s picture was actually the C-Team Volleyball picture and the C-Team Volleyball picture was already printed on the previous page.

On top of having technical errors, some students feel as though the program features too much LHS football coverage.

Matt Weiss, a junior on the varsity football team, argues that, “Football is always going to be the biggest sport because that’s the ‘American sport’ and that’s the sport people want to watch. That’s the big sport of the year, so why not have a lot of football pictures in there?”

One reason why the program features LHS football extensively is that the football parents put it together.

I don’t find any problem with the fact that LHS football appears on 33 pages of the 52 page sports program, including the cover. It’s the football parents who took the time to create the program after all. It might be worthwhile if other parents of athletes from other sports had more of a say, but if the football parents really care about the program and want to design it, I have no issue.

What I do have a problem with is the technical errors of the program. While football is awesome, there are other fall sports with athletes who deserve to be recognized. When small errors aren’t noticed, it seems that those pages were just thrown together and that the errors don’t matter, when actually, they do.

All athletes, no matter what sports team they are a part of, deserve to shine. If those sports are covered in the fall sports program, then those teams deserve to have their respected pictures without error.