The Lawrencian: Sylas & Maddy’s

After an LHS Boys Varsity soccer game, some of the exchange students and I went to Sylas & Maddy’s. It was late at night, and the little shop was packed. The bright and sunny feel of the store in the afternoon gives way to a popular hang-out spot at night.  After dark, there aren’t that many places to spend time downtown. (Especially with the return of the college students) Sylas & Maddy’s is the place to be. Talking over the music from Buffalo Wild Wings and trying to keep their ice cream from dripping, people packed the sidewalk in either direction. It was mostly high school and college-aged people that were pretending it wasn’t a weeknight. It’s also an adorable and casual date for anyone. I mean, dessert makes everything fun.

Ordering was a little complicated for my group, because the exchange students weren’t sure what to get. Da Bomb or Maddy’s Mud? What are they?  Eventually, everyone picked a flavor, and some of us branched out. I ordered a single scoop of The Dark Side on a waffle cone.  The Germans ordered Orange Sherbet, Hawk Tracks, and other exciting flavors that they don’t have in Germany. We all sampled each others’ flavors, which is the best part of having a big group of people.

The atmosphere made all of us have fun. The sidewalk outside was very festive.  I was tired from a long day and a busy week, but it was fun to be downtown late at night. Ice cream and a group of friends can really help you forget about homework. We probably should have been concerned about blowing off schoolwork, but we all went home in a good mood.

I’m sure most people have gone to Sylas & Maddy’s. It’s a Lawrence icon. But have you tried going at a different time than usual? You might find a completely different place.

153