A Decade in Pride

2000
The rugby team placed 11th at regionals in Tulsa, Okla. Most players who tried out had never played before. Some played the game because it was similar to football, while others played to condition for other sports.

2001
Key club was a popular club that gave members a chance to help support their community by participating in a variety of community service events.

2002
The spring play discussed important issues about the tragic Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The play explored personal responsibility if someone didn’t agree with the government’s ideas and the definition of patriotism.

2003
LHS kept expressing pride. During spirit week of year, students created chants for Chesty Chant Day and collected canned goods for “Can Those Firebirds Day.”

2004
For the first time since the ‘80’s, a new sport was added: bowling. One player managed to make it to state. He placed 19th.

2005
Jeff Plinsky began his first year as head coach of the debate and forensics squads. Teams placed and earned medals at various tournaments.

2006
As David Platt concluded his last year as the boys soccer coach, he led the Lions to a victory against Free State, giving the boys team one of the best seasons in years.

2007
After placing first at state the previous year, girls basketball coach Kristen Mallory expected a good season but had many players injured. After the team’s loss at sub-state, Mallory announced to the team she was resigning.

2008
The boys track team placed second at their meet against Free State at Free State. Seven boys were then able to qualify to run in the KU Relays. After the KU Relays, senior Chebon Dawes went off to state, where the boys placed seventh overall.

2009
Construction on the football stadium, soccer field, tennis courts and parking lot began during the summer. The new construction would enable competitions to take place on school grounds.

2010
Seniors were the first to accomplish a new sort of tradition. They were to first to have their graduation ceremony on the grounds at Lawrence High with the completion of the new football stadium.