Engineering entertainment

tshirtgunCrowded in a full seminar room, the students drew their layouts for a house.

Parted from everyone, three seniors worked on an unusual device that distributes T-shirts during football games.

“Air is compressed in the air chamber and a valve is used as a quick release to let the air push the T-shirt out of the barrel at the push of a button,” senior Stephen Bell said.

The idea of a T-shirt gun doesn’t exactly strike as a typical idea. Seniors Collin Belcher, Matt Zabel created the T-shirt launcher in an engineering class along with Bell. The T-shirt gun debuted at the homecoming game and will be used throughout the football and basketball season.

“We wanted to make a reliable and good looking source of entertainment for down time at sporting events,” Bell said.

The gun is powered by CO2 tanks made for paint ball guns, explained vocational teacher Charlie Lauts.

“The three boys, who financed the gun themselves, built it from scraps, piece by piece,” Lauts said.

The gun owes its red and black tiger stripes to the video game Call of Duty, Belcher said. One feature on the game gives players an option to create a cover for their gun.

“The red tiger paint is for real,” Bell said.

Painted red and black, the gun looks like a true LHS lion.

“It’s the most beautiful piece of machinery I’ve ever seen in my life,” Belcher said with a serious but sarcastic smirk on his face.

“And Free State doesn’t have one,”

Belcher added.