A Slice of Nice: Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of the few major holidays that has not been commercialized, and I love it.

While I think we should all be appreciating the great things in our lives 24/7, it seems almost impossible. It’s hard  not to complain about doing 18 college applications or having to clean my room.

But the truth is, I’m lucky that my parents can afford to send me to college, and I am also lucky that I have a room to clean. Thanksgiving makes you think about these things.

This year, the speeches centered around a college theme because it feels like the most major change we will experience in the next year.

However,  the speech that grabbed me the most was my sister’s speech. It began with “I am NOT thankful that my sister is going to college, because we’re all going to miss her.”

Thank you, I thought. I am thankful that someone else is as scared as I am about this change.  I can’t believe that a year from now, I’ll be living in some strange city talking to people I have never met. What if I am not even home for Thanksgiving?

This year, I am very thankful for technology so I can call, text, email and Facebook message my family whenever, wherever. I just hope they won’t have to text me a picture of Thanksgiving dinner.