Brain Exercise Initiative: new LHS club supports local elders with dementia

Club members learn important life skills while fostering intergenerational connections.
Club+members+Simeon+Moulton+and+Brandon+Parnell+present+to+an+AP+Biology+class+about+BEI.+
Jack Tell
Club members Simeon Moulton and Brandon Parnell present to an AP Biology class about BEI.

Each year, Alzheimer’s Disease affects millions of elders nationwide.

Alzheimer’s Disease is a terminal illness that progressively causes one to lose their memories and other important mental functions. 

Although no cure has been found, new Japanese studies have shown that through mental simulation in the form of simple reading and math exercises, the effects of Alzheimer’s can potentially be slowed. 

That is the goal of Brain Exercise Initiative, (BEI), a nonprofit organization that helps improve the cognitive abilities of elders suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease. 

Last year, the first Kansas chapter for BEI was founded at Lawrence High by then-senior Thomas Lushington.

“Last year Thomas was just interested in getting a couple juniors and seniors together to see how it would go,” senior Simeon Moulton said. 

This year, senior Brandon Parnell has taken over the role of club president—and helped recruit new members. For sophomore Logan Callaway, this was the case. 

“I went to the club fair and found out about BEI there, mainly from Brandon Parnell. He gave me a little pitch on why to join the club, and it just seemed like the right thing to do,” Callaway said. 

Although BEI is a school club, most of the work they do happens outside of LHS. 

“Twice a week, we go to Nuevant West and Neuvant East, two senior living facilities that are specifically for dementia. We do these packets with them that are filled with arithmetic, reading comprehension, and history trivia,” Moulton said. 

As a two-year member of BEI club, Parnell has witnessed the positive effects BEI has on the residents.

“Every time we go there people start getting excited to see us. If you work with the same person, they’ll start improving, and it’s really rewarding to see that growth,” Parnell said. 

Although BEI’s main purpose is to improve symptoms of dementia, the club also fosters friendships that are meaningful to eighteen-year-olds and eighty-year-olds alike. 

For senior club member Maya Smith, a valuable part of BEI club has been the intergenerational connections she’s made with the residents.

“It’s so nice to just talk to them and keep them company because they really like it, but we actually think it’s really fun too,” Smith said. “Once you get to know the people there and their personalities, it’s a really good time.” 

Before interacting with the residents, new BEI members go through Neuvant House’s safety training.

“Before you even start volunteering yourself, you have to go to Neuvant and get a rundown of what to do and not to do,” Callaway said. “You have to be patient and keep resident information confidential.”

The first time Callaway volunteered at Neuvant, he was not sure what to expect. 

“My first time going I was kind of anxious because I didn’t really know what I was doing, but I met someone [a resident] who was pretty talkative and that was nice,” Callaway said. 

BEI club has not only helped the residents at Neuvant House, but has also taught club members important lessons. 

“I’ve noticed that talking with the residents has improved my people skills; it’s almost like a practice because if you mess up, they’re not going to remember,” Parnell said. “It’s stress-free.” 

In addition, BEI teaches club members valuable communication skills.

“BEI overall really builds your interpersonal skills because we learn how to deal with tons of different people of different ages; not just the residents, but also the people that work there and each other,” Moulton said. 

Although volunteering with BEI can be hard work, it is filled with heart-warming connections, and making positive impacts on the lives of local elders with dementia. 

“That’s the most rewarding part; seeing we are just putting smiles on people’s faces,” Parnell said. “Knowing that they appreciate what we’re doing just as much as we love to do it.” 

If you are interested in joining BEI club talk to Mrs. Leuschen (club sponsor) to be added to the GroupMe. BEI club volunteers at Neuvant East and West on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school.