New school year brings new clubs and activities

From powerlifting to Pokemon, there’s a club for everyone
Dylan Wheatman

As the school year starts, Lawrence High is welcoming a variety of new clubs. The LHS club fair happened two weeks ago and featured many new clubs for students to be a part of. These include powerlifting club, science olympiad, and Pokemon club.

Sponsored by physical education teacher Michelle Lown, powerlifting club has started lifting weights and gaining strength, preparing for competitions.

“I think it’s a great outlet, for especially people who don’t necessarily like sports but they like to lift or they don’t feel like they have a sport that they excel at,” Lown said.

Junior Bishop Jackovich joined the club to challenge his weight lifting abilities and work harder.

“I saw it and thought it would be a nice club to join, get active, and get involved in some extracurricular activities,” said Jackvich. “I’m very competitive when it comes to lifting and sports but I think it’s gonna be a challenging area.”

Science Olympiad is a new club created by freshman Davian Copeland who first started it at his middle school. It’s a a club where students can creatively design, build and prepare for events where they can win medals.

“I started it at my middle school last year. Me and my partner went to state and got first at state for a green generation event,” said Copeland. “I found that to be a lot of fun and I wanted to start it here too.” 

Pokemon club, sponsored by art teacher Emily Markoulatos, is a club where students get together to play and battle with Pokemon cards.

“I was honestly surprised we didn’t already have a Pokemon club so I was excited for the new idea and I love creative thinking,” said Markoulatos. “I think it is really important that everybody finds their group in high school.”