U.S. Secretary of Education visits KU to promote K-12 education and pathways to higher ed

The stop featured two LHS students and praised USD 497 and KU for their Blueprint program.
U.S.+Secretary+of+Education+Dr.+Miguel+Cardona+speaks+at+the+KU+Union+on+Sept.+5.+
Maeslyn Hamlin
U.S. Secretary of Education Dr. Miguel Cardona speaks at the KU Union on Sept. 5.

Yesterday, the U.S. Secretary of Education Dr. Miguel Cardona visited KU to continue the “Back to School Bus Tour 2023: Raise the Bar.” This multi-state road trip features students and educators that strive to “raise the bar” for education, including a few LHS students and USD 497 district officials at this stop. 

The event included themes of K-12 postsecondary

partnerships, the opening of Kansas’ first tuition-free Montessori school, federally supported pathway programs, mending the broken student loan system, mental health care, and restoring federal education funds. 

The University of Kansas and Lawrence Public Schools were featured on the tour for the Blueprint program, where students have the opportunity to attend college courses at the high schools for a third of the price. 

“In just six years, the number of students participating in at least one Blueprint course has surged by 600%, reaching nearly 2000 students.” Superintendent Dr. Anthony Lewis said.

Representing Lawrence High School Blueprint students were LHS seniors January Jackson and Addy Welch. Both were highlighted for taking numerous Blueprint classes and displaying exemplary work in them. 

Cardona also discussed federally supported pathway programs (TRIO) and Upward Bound and SES Talent Search work to bring diversity and equity to KU campus and careers beyond.

“TRIO represents the promise of America. The promise shows us that whatever your race or place, whatever your income or aspirations, you get a chance to build a better future for yourself through education,” Cardona said.  “Wherever you start out in life, you have a shot at success, and its best education opens doors.”

Among the topics of futures and higher education was the mention of the “broken loan system,” according to Cardona. 

“For too long higher education has separated the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots,’” Cardona said. “We are committed not only in talking, but in action to fix a broken loan system and to ensure inclusivity in our universities.”

Student mental and physical health was a topic of conversation as well. Cardona highlighted the importance of student health for education.

“Let’s raise the bar for learning conditions,” Cardona said. “We need to invest in health and mental health so that all students can be at their best.”

The “Back to School Bus Tour 2023: Raise the Bar” will continue the rest of the week to other midwest states, including Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota.