New chapter of Future Business Leaders of America to open at LHS

The national organization’s local chapter will be headed by business teacher Kimberly Hawks

By Perrin Goulter, Reporter

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is a national organization with over 230,000 members across the United States. This massive organization for like-minded individuals is coming a bit closer to home as a new chapter will open at the inaugural meeting on April 20. Meetings will be held monthly on Wednesdays with the second being on May 4, 2022.

Since 2019 Kimberly Hawks has been in charge of the business classes at LHS. She is the driving factor behind the creation of FBLA here at LHS. Hawks is looking forward to granting students the opportunity to show off their skills within the community.

“FBLA offers a chance for students to enrich their business interests with other like-minded students, and also a creative and competitive outlet for them if they choose,” Hawks said. “There are over 50 competitions within the FBLA framework. Students can compete locally, at the state level, and a select few can also compete yearly at the national convention.”

Hawks believes that her devoted students should result in a promising turnout for the first meeting.

“I expect that students will really get into it,” Hawks said.“I think they’ll enjoy monthly meetings to both socialize and to get ready for competitions. Many of my business students are already learning about business and earning a grade. FBLA will give them an avenue to compete and win awards with it as well.”

The spirit exhibited by her students shows her that they will work hard towards success.

“I think they’ll like going to competitions and winning,” Hawks said. “When you start talking to alumni and community members, many are familiar with FBLA because they used to be members. I think our students will love the legacy of FBLA and of LHS excellence in really everything we do.”

Students within the business classes are jazzed about the potential to get involved with a club that represents their interests. Junior Maddock Oberzan is one of those students.

I am very excited about it,” Oberzan said. “It will be nice to have a club that I can really get into and will actually start to set me up for my future.”

Oberzan looks forward to getting involved with competitions to show off his skills

“I hope to gain new skills and greater knowledge of business. But more importantly some recognition in the business community because of the competitions,” Oberzan said.

“Competitions exist within FBLA and allow you to use your business skills to show what you know which would be cool.”

Getting a better understanding of all things business allows students to start building for their futures.

“I do see myself going into something regarding economics and this class lays a pretty solid foundation for any skills I may need for that,” Oberzan said. “I think it’s important to have that information in order to properly grasp the field that you may be going into.”

Even students who may not be interested in going into the business field are hyped for the institution of FBLA. Freshman, Connor Austin is a student involved with the intro to business course. He has a passion for entrepreneurship without strict aspirations.

“I definitely think that the class is a good starter for either future business classes or even an occupation in business,” Austin said. “Even for those who may not be going into business in the future it still gives some really helpful information.”

Austin looks forward to FBLA as a potential stepping stone for future endeavors at LHS.

“I have heard the FBLA gives more learning resources for business and hopefully it helps me get my foot in the door for other clubs that may or may not deal with business.”

His focus on becoming a part of a community that he is interested in exemplifies the grind that has taken over the business students at LHS.

“Certainly some aspects will help me get in-depth,” Austin said. “I think that being a part of FBLA will be more community-focused rather than the individual focus that you get in the classroom.”