Dr. Johnson to continue as interim principal for another year

By Nadia Sanburn, Online Editor in Chief

Dr. Cynthia Johnson will be staying on as the interim principal of Lawrence High for another year, a district press release sent to staff and parents on Nov. 1 confirmed.

Dr. Johnson was originally named interim principal this school year and has had a large impact on the atmosphere and inner workings of LHS in the short time she’s been at LHS. Superintendent Anthony Lewis praised her for those changes in the press release. 

“Our board members, district administrators and I have been receiving lots of positive feedback from students, staff and parents about Dr. Johnson’s leadership,” Lewis said. “Our initial look at Lawrence High’s school climate data shows positive results that are cause for celebration. In order to keep that momentum going and provide continuity through the completion of construction, I am glad that ‘Mama J’ is happy here and has agreed to stay.” 

Lawrence High staff and students said they are looking forward to another year with Dr. Johnson. 

Andrew Bricker, a science teacher at LHS, thinks that the changes she’s made have been good for the school. 

“I’m excited that Dr. Johnson is staying for another year,” he said. “ She’s helped spark a lot of positive changes, and I think we need her here to keep us on that track.”

Junior Eila Deavours is excited to see the changes Dr. Johnson will make with her extra time at Lawrence High.

“Dr. Johnson has already implemented many changes in order to make the school a more positive environment,” she said. “I’m sure that she will continue to be involved and improve the school in the next two years.”

Perrin Goulter, a freshman, said the school is improved from Dr. Johnson’s presence. 

“Having Dr. Johnson stay another year is exciting, because I think she does a good job at making the school a better place to attend,” he said. 

The press release is concluded with a quote from Dr. Johnson.

“I’m honored to continue serving the LHS Chesty Lion students, families, faculty, and staff,” she said. “I will continue to work with all stakeholders. Together, we have the POWER to lift each student to greatness.” 

Zora Lotton-Barker contributed to this report.