Pushing for student votes

Young Democrats hold voter registration drive

By Connor Schmaus, Editor-in-Chief

Amongst the turmoil of modern politics, one club is empowering people to vote.

The last week before the registration deadline, Young Democrats club held a drive to sign up as many eligible students as possible.

The idea for the drive has been at the forefront of planning since the previous school year, but inexperience meant the drive was pushed to this year.

“It’s always been something we’ve wanted to do as a club,” senior and Young Democrats vice president Derek White said. “Even last year, we wanted to get it started, but we couldn’t really get it going because we didn’t know how to do anything.”

White and club president Sami Turner organized the event after learning more about running political events at the high school level during the summer. White believes this preparation led to greater success this year.

“Over the summer, Sami and I attended some meetings and stuff, and we learned how to start our own drives,” White said. “I think it’s going really well [because of this].”

Originally, a friendly competition between Lawrence High and Free State would have been an added incentive, but scheduling and member shortage changed the plan. Although this partially changed the attitude going in, the drive had few obstacles. Young Democrats treasurer Trevor Arellano felt the event faced only general annoyances.

“Some people write silly things down, like they don’t really take it seriously,” said Arellano, a junior. “But that’s just high school.”

The drive has also reached other generations. Club sponsor Jon Harrison believes in the optimism of his students, especially though what he observes in discussions about getting involved.

“I’m pretty hands-off but I do enjoy their discourse and admire them a lot,” Harrison said. “I have faith in [them] to make the world better, but [they] have to get out there and do it.”

Even with the legal restriction on age, Young Democrats Club is encouraging people to get involved by helping those who share passions make real change.

“Democracy is not a spectator sport,” White said. “If you don’t like the way the government [executive] or congress is dealing with certain issues that you’re passionate about I feel like it’s your civic duty to do something about it. You can still campaign, phone bank, try to get people to vote.”