Sophomore wins free bus fare

Lawrence Transit System rewards Jacob Horton one year of free bus fare

By Addisson Thornsbury, Writer

Sophomore Jacob Horton received Lawrence Transit System’s “Share Your Story” writing award on Jan. 1. The contest was held to celebrate their 15 years of service to the community.

The guidelines for the “Share Your Story” contest were straightforward. The story had to include the important role that public transport plays in helping others with their everyday tasks. First place was given 12 months of free bus fare.

Robert Nugent, transit administrator for the Lawrence Transit System said in an article on their website that he wanted to hear the stories the bus riders had to tell as well as recognize and appreciate their loyal customers.

Horton found out about the contest from an advertisement on the bus.

“I was riding the bus one day and I saw an ad about it on a little board they have in front of it.” said Horton.

The Lawrence Public Transit System plays a big role in transportation for Lawrence citizens, especially for Horton. He adds in his “Share Your Story” submission that he has been riding the bus for 11 years as his main source of transportation whether it be to class, school events, or to the store.

When writing the essay, Horton was inspired by his hundreds of trips on the Transit.

“I have been riding the bus system since I was about 5 years old,” Horton explains in his story. “When I first started riding the bus, I was scared out of my wits because the buses seemed huge to a 5-year-old. But my fear was soon replaced with the acceptance and kindness that each and every one of the many bus drivers have.”

Riding on the Lawrence Transit System has given him a chance to experience the positive and negatives that it provides.

“There are some events that are very important that I need to go to and sometimes the buses are really unorganized and there are a few rude drivers,” Horton said. “Other than that the bus system is good; I like it a lot.”

Overall, however, he says that the bus system helps him stay involved with his multiple activities and get around the community.

“Without the Lawrence Transit System, I wouldn’t be able to get to the place where I get my education, the place where I get my food, and I wouldn’t have met any of the kind, caring, and sweet people that I have met on the bus,” Horton said in his essay.

To people who haven’t taken the Transit before, it may seem unusual and different. But Horton promises that it’s very easy to become adapted to.

For those who are riding the Transit for the first time, Horton suggests to be prepared when boarding.

“Make sure you have money to get on the bus because sometimes the bus drivers don’t let you on the bus,” he said. “But all in all, it’s really fun and not that scary. Pay attention to where your stop is at because it’s really easy to fall asleep.”