Geography Club’s “Map of the Week”

Map of the Week_Ryan

By Ryan Hutchins

Walking by psychology teacher, David Platt’s, classroom  a view of the Taj Mahal, or ‘Taj’ according to locals, could be seen this wee. Of course it’s only a picture on a map. It offers all  there is to be admired in India, both manmade and naturally occurring. Each week the Geography Club presents a map of the week, in hopes of sparking student interest about the world they live in.

“It is all about learning about the world around you,” Platt said.

As a result of his global travels Platt has acquired a number of maps, thus giving him the idea of displaying a different map each week.

“Many of the maps are very cool so I thought it was time to get them out so people could see them,” Platt said. “I want kids to know as much as possible about the world around them and some of these really well designed maps give the map reader keen insights in a very cool layout.”

Sophomore Stefan Petrovic, president of the geography club,  started learning about his environment on a global level when he was young and decided to keep up the trend as he entered high school.

“In middle school I participated in geography bees and even went to the national geography bee. I have always loved maps and learning about other places and cultures and that’s why I joined [geography club],” Petrovic said.

By presenting the school with a different map each week Petrovic wants to broaden the students’ knowledge of their surroundings, no matter how far they may be.

“Just kind show people the world, just show people what there is out there,” Petrovic said. “Sometimes people just kind of are a little exclusive and just think about what’s around them and this is kind of showing them that other crazy, exotic places exist.”

As a way to get students more involved with map of the week the club is planning have a more student oriented opportunity available next semester.

“We’re thinking about having a scuba diving thing go on in the lhs pool at some point next semester,” Petrovic said. “we’d love to have the student body get involved if they want to have fun and I don’t know, go scuba diving.”

Next year, instead of having a map, Platt and the geography club is thinking about giving the students a chance to put their international knowledge on display. They look forward  to increase international travel among young people, as well as expanding their perception of the world around them with this simple idea.

“I am not sure if we will do this next year or not,” Platt said. “I have an idea to do

a mystery place of the week instead –  using pictures I have taken and perhaps even have prize money with it.”

187