Students juggle Gala performances

5_gala

Directing the entire choir department as well as the Chamber Orchestra, choir director Dwayne Dunn conducts the first part of the Gala concert on Nov. 5. Photo by Ryan Hutchins

By Courtney Cooper

As the lights dimmed and students filled the stage, parents were eager to see what the music department had in store for the audience.

After months of hard work, the orchestras, choirs and band were ready for the Gala Concert fundraiser on Nov. 5.

Senior Emily Bell is a member of Chamber Orchestra and Symphonic Orchestra.

“I think it’s a good way to get the freshman and younger kids excited about the music department,” senior Emily Bell said.

During the night, each of the music groups took the stage.

Many students, such as junior Heather Wisbey, felt the pressure to be in multiple performances. Not only were there two Gala performances during the night, but many students participated in multiple groups.

Senior Heather Wisbey is in the Symphonic Orchestra.

“This is my second year in two performances for the Gala, so I learned how to manage my time, so it’s not that bad,” Wisbey said.

The performing arts appealed to students in different ways. Some students were involved with playing instruments before they got to high school and signed up to be in the class.

“I really wanted to play an instrument and I knew I wanted to play a string instrument,” Wisbey said. “Viola sounded cool and different and no one plays it.”

Being a part of something big and working with peers can be a rewarding experience, said senior Andrea Summey, who was happy with the Gala performances.

“It was a lot better than last year,” Summey said. “It was very fun to be able to be on stage with the other choral department members.”

Many of the musicians believed the exciting, upbeat tempo of a western piece played by the orchestra, “Bluegrass Country,” would be a hit with the audience.

“I think the audience will definitely like the country western piece we are playing for orchestra because it’s fun,” Bell said.

There was something for each student to look forward to during the concert.

“For choir, I really like the ‘Tacala,’ ” Wisbey said. “I really like Eric Whitacre, and that’s one of his pieces. For orchestra, I really like Philip Bliss because it is beautiful and dynamic.”

For many of the students in the music department, like senior choir member Conrad Nikitin, the Gala was seen as a time for the underclassmen to learn from the more experienced members.

“Gala is a growing experience where we can blend together with choirs from many different generations that will continue the legacy of LHS choir,” Nikitin said.

168
View Comments (168)