New advanced courses offered

Advanced Classes4

Graphics by Roscoe Bradt

By Roscoe Bradt

This year, four new advanced classes have been added to the wide array of courses students have to pick from. Here’s a breakdown of the new courses.

Advanced Geometry

Advanced Geometry was previously offered at some middle schools for ninth-graders, but now that freshmen have been moved to the high school level, Advanced Geometry has followed.

“It’s cool because we’re ahead of everyone else, but at the same time we move so fast that some kids don’t know what’s going on,” freshman Tatyana Young said.

It is an accelerated version of the standard geometry class, offering preparation for Advanced Algebra 2 and those wanting a faster course in math.

AP Language and Comprehension

In the AP Language and Comprehension class, students learn to read text analytically and write in an advanced way.

“I like it a lot,” junior Riley Shook said. “It’s not like a bunch of worksheets. We just read a lot.”

The class challenges students and their reading skills just as it did before, but now the advanced option is available to juniors, who can take the AP exam to earn college credit.

Advanced Astronomy

Advanced Astronomy is a rework of previous astronomy courses, offering a fast-paced curriculum that packs in more information than standard classes.

“It’s accelerated the first semester,” senior Rose Kennedy said. “It’s just like the introduction to astronomy honors class at KU.”

The class challenges students to expand their astronomical knowledge, letting students explore and study galaxies nearly 7 billion light years away due to a generous grant.

Bellissima

Bellissima is the newest addition the choir lineup. The choir is an advanced womens’ choir available to sophomore, junior and senior girls.

“It feels really exclusive because it’s so small,” sophomore Reagan Kanter said. “We get to do some really challenging music.”

Compared to the standard womens’ choir, Bellissima sings more complex songs on a rehearsal plan that is challenging and fast paced.