Principals must connect with students

111admin

Graphic by Zachary Spears

By Charlie Backus
The relationship between students and administrators has never been one of camaraderie.
Most students do not have any relationship with principals. Instead, they see them as silent rule makers of the school.
In the hallways, administrators are rarely seen. When they are, they seem to huddle together like a gang of nervous high school freshmen, afraid to branch out.
Administrators must show they care. A simple, “How are you doing?” or “How has the school year been?” would be enough to make students think that the administrators are more involved in their lives. Principals care — at least we hope they do — but they need to demonstrate that to students every day.
Administrators are rule makers, and students must respect and acknowledge them as the disciplinary force of the school. Something as simple as reaching out to students in the hallways would not disintegrate that view in any way.
A step forward was made this year to try and better student-administration relationships. This came in the form of cards freshmen collected from each of the principals to make sure students knew who the principals were. When all principal cards were collected, the students received small prizes.
The main problem with the principal cards program was that it was actually organized by LINK Crew and not the administrators themselves. There was work done between LINK and the administration in order to better the reception of the principal cards, but still, it was a flop. Part of that problem was that in the first month of high school, freshmen are usually focused on staying alive and getting to class more than they are focused on finding every principal. But that doesn’t mean the effort should end there.
When asked about the administration’s attempt to better the relationship with students, Principal Matt Brungardt said he “greets students all the time [and that associate principal] Ms. [Margene] Brohammer greets students all the time.” He also included that he and other administrators try to “have a good relationship and try to work with student council.”
That doesn’t always come across to students. Senior Puja Shah, a member of student council for the past three years, has never felt a strong connection between student council members and the administration.
“[Assistant principal Mark] Preut is the only one who has regularly shown up to official meetings and the only one we work face to face with,” Shah said. “We do work with all the administration, but it is never face to face and always feels really disconnected.”
Certainly, there are challenges. With a big student body, it’s harder to foster close relationships with students. During his first year at LHS, Preut noted that when he attempted to recognize students in the hallway they “looked right through me” and that “part of fostering that close relationship is a two-way street.”
Preut also recognizes the stress put on high school students and the continual anxiety over keeping up in their classes. In the hallways, he said, they may be thinking more about getting to their next classes than talking to their principals. Yet, Preut is probably at his best when he relaxes with students and kicks a hacky sack around the hallways with them. But that sort of connection is too rare.
Freshmen come to high school with the fresh experience of often being friendly with their middle school administrators. In high school, they find a different relationship.
But should the relationship really be that much different?
It would take time, but fostering the same relationship is possible with more effort from administrators. Spread out and stand in different parts of the school. Say hello. Ask us about our weekend. Or that goal we made at the soccer game. Or the club we just started.

The bottom line is administrators need to show they care about every student and not just the students who stand out.

151