Students awarded for effort

By Kendra Schwartz

Although every student dreams of the perfect parking spot, getting the school’s Wi-Fi password, or getting to jump the lunch line, starting next month, one of these dreams will become a reality for 10 students.

In September, Student Council is launching a Student of the Month program that rewards those who demonstrate dedication to learning.

Junior Sadie Keller suggested this idea because she saw a need to recognize students who would not normally receive awards — students who aren’t praised regularly on school announcements.

“We’re hoping with the program in general just to recognize kids who aren’t necessarily Student Council kids or aren’t in the band or in the choir, and maybe don’t get recognized all the time,” Keller said.

These students, however, prove their strength instead in the classroom.

“We are looking for students who embody the qualities of Lawrence High students that we like or that students should have,” Keller said. “So, like a hard worker, someone who is punctual, like they come to class on time, they always have a good attitude, and it’s not necessarily so much about grades as it is about work and work ethic.”

Every month, each of the school’s nine departments will choose a nominee who exemplifies the ideal student. Department heads will then put their nominations in a box in the main office.

An additional student will be chosen by peers. Each month, students will have an opportunity to nominate classmates to be Student of the Month through a box in the StuCo window. From these nominees, StuCo will randomly select one.

StuCo members hope this plan will incorporate a few of the other projects they have been working toward to improve student morale.

“I’m hoping it’s kind of a continuation of the ‘Be More Awesome’ campaign and maybe even a step further because the cool things that we have as motivations for students to be Student of the Month and the perks that they get — those are things Student Council [members] brainstormed and were like, ‘We really wish we could have that,’” Keller said.

Student body president, senior Abbey Berland and other members of StuCo’s executive board embraced Keller’s idea. For years, StuCo has worked with teachers to encourage students through its Mr. Goodbar program, which allows teachers to send students encouraging notes and tickets for a free candy bar.

“We were really excited about it because we’ve been working on that and on encouragement through Goodbars, but this takes it a step further by giving them perks and incentives to do great things in school,” Berland said. “Goodbars are a lot more common and the range of things to get a Goodbar is a lot broader, and it’s up to the teacher, and this is more of a Student Council-teacher combined effort.”

Although Keller and other students came up with the plan and presented it to administrators, teachers have answered a resounding “yes” to any requests made relating to the Student of the Month program.

“We had to set up a meeting with the administrators, but they were really open to it and they were really supportive of it,” Keller said. “They said they had thought about doing it themselves, so it was pretty easy.”

Student Council adviser Jason Lichte has quietly but ardently encouraged StuCo as he notes the perks of giving more students an incentive to work hard.

“If we have 10 students in a month and we do it over nine months, we’ll have 90 students,” Lichte said. “So when the students do the math, they realize, ‘I got a one in 10, one in 15 shot of being Student of the Month. That’s attainable. That’s something maybe I can do if I show teachers and show other students how I can help the school.’ ”

Keller is working to assemble a diverse advisory board of 10 students who will oversee the project.

“As Student Council we’re really going to try to get some new faces,” Keller said.

Student Council as well as the teachers and administration are excited for this opportunity for a whole new spirit in the hallways.

“Be on the lookout for the students chosen as Student of the Month and see what qualities they have,” Keller said. “We’re really just trying to stress that they are the example of the great qualities that Lawrence High School has and the things that Lions should be and can be.”