Lawmakers question online privacy rights

With the rise of social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter, lawmakers are beginning to question if more legal protection is necessary for users.

State Rep. Gail Finney, a Wichita Democrat, proposed three new bills in the Kansas House aiming to provide protection to social media users from employers, teachers and professors, as well as from general harassment.

Under one bill, an employer would not be able to request access to social media accounts of employees or potential employees.

Using social media websites to get a closer look at employees is not an uncommon tactic. Assistant principal Mark Preut said he has used social media websites when hiring staff members.

“I’ve had applicants where I’ve looked on their Facebook page and been like, ‘I’m not sure if that’s a good fit,’ ” Preut said. “I look at it as if they’re going to put it out on a public place for people to see, then I have just as much rights to see it as somebody a thousand miles away who just happens to click on their name and see what’s up there.”

The bill aims to protect people with otherwise private accounts from being forced to share their information. It would protect against employers who request potential employees to friend them on Facebook or allow them to be Twitter followers.

Under the second bill, teachers and professors also would not be able to request access to private social media accounts of their students.

The final bill aims to protect social media users by prohibiting the creation of false social media accounts for the use of harassment.

Under this bill, individuals would not be able to identify themselves as someone else or use someone else’s photos without their consent.

This bill, if passed, could possibly affect or eliminate popular parody twitter accounts such as @FakeJeffWithey or accounts closer to home such as @Coach_Kent, a parody account for swim coach Kent McDonald.

“[If these accounts are eliminated] then 53 people would no longer enjoy Kent McDonald’s hilarious quotes,” said senior Adam Edmonds, creator of @Coach_Kent.

Regardless of if these bills pass, the important issue for students is to protect themselves. They should monitor what they post or set up privacy settings for their accounts, Preut advised.

“Bottom line is be careful what you put out there,” Preut said. “Sometimes you need to stop and think before you shout it from the mountaintop and put it out there for the world to see.”