Students sprint to beat the tardy bell

The path from class to class is normally taken at a walking pace with plenty of distractions on the way.
It’s no wonder students find it tough to make it from the north side of the building to the annex. But what if you ran it?
We asked sprinter Asaph Jewsome who normally runs a 10.5 in the 100-meter dash to run the path from the band room to Jeff Plinsky’s debate room ­­— the two classrooms furthest apart in school.
“I feel really bad for anyone that has to walk that far,” said Jewsome, a senior who will be going out for track again this year.
It took us 4 minutes and 15 seconds to walk the path. Jewsome ran it in 1:06.
“Me running, the halls are basically clear, and I had to dodge a couple people during that,” said Jewsome, who put on running shoes for the undertaking. “I can’t imagine what it’d be like with crowded hallways in there. I don’t know how anybody would make it to class on time.”
It can be tough getting to class on time, especially if you need to run by your locker or the restroom. But short of sprinting, how is it that some people in annex classes still manage to be on time?
“My tips to them would be to try to avoid dense areas like the mini-rotunda, or the rotunda itself, and try to go around,” junior Eric Martinez said.
Solid advice, but it’s almost guaranteed you have to go through one or both of the rotundas through part of the day.
Martinez looks left and right — as if he’s sharing a well-guarded secret — and continues with his advice: “Go outside.”
He really means it. Go outside to avoid the crowds, and the time you spend walking in and out will be significantly less than the time you may spend trying to push through the mobs of students.
Freshman Kaitlyn Preut has a simpler, straightforward strategy.
“Just walk fast,” she said. “Usually I try to find an opening. There aren’t really a lot of challenges.”