Spring sports see new coaches

LHS has found itself at the beginning of its spring sports season.
Along with the new season, teams also have a few new faces joining the teams.
This year LHS has a gained a several new coaches. The school has a new girls’ soccer coach, softball coach, swimming assistant coach, and diving coach.
For the soccer girls, this isn’t a new experience though.
“This is [the team’s] 3rd coach in 3 years.” New Head Varsity girls’ soccer coach Janna Kepler said.
Kepler has coached swimming, soccer, and basketball for several years. But her true passion is soccer.
“Soccer is my love,” Kepler said. “Watching the girls come together is great. Teaching the girls about soccer and seeing improvements is even better.”
With Kepler being the third new coach for this team, there have been a few bumps in the road.
“Breaking into a new environment is always a challenge.” Kepler said, “However, when you really love what you do, the challenge is rewarding.”
The team has also faced a few difficulties with yet another new coach.
“I have a different system than previous coaches.” Kepler said, “A new coach gets a lot of ‘That’s not how we did it before.’”.
Despite these challenges, Kepler expects good things from her team.
“Our team goal this season is to communicate and to leave it all on the field.” Kepler said, “The girls know the competition in the Sunflower League. We expect wins.”
Although Kepler has only been a part of the LHS community for a short amount of time, she has enjoyed her time here.
“There is a certain energy around LHS.” Kepler said, “Not all schools have it. LHS does.”
The softball team has also had to make the adjustment of having a new coach.
“When the opportunity came up to lead another athletic program at LHS I couldn’t pass it up.” New Head Varsity softball coach Nicholas Wood said.
Wood has been a volunteer graduate assistant for Kansas State’s basketball program, assistant varsity boys basketball coach at Free State, JV boys basketball coach at Eudora, and the Head Varsity Girls Basketball Coach at LHS.
The softball team also experienced a few difficulties adjusting to a new coach.
“Anytime there is change, there are going to be some speed bumps along the way,” Wood said. “A lot of individuals are used to doing something a certain way.”
Wood himself has also had his own difficulties taking up this position. “The most difficult part about being a new coach is just figuring out all of the little things that go into making the program successful like fundraising, paperwork, bus requests, fundraising, etc.” Wood said.
Despite the difficulties, Wood expects the team to work hard and do their best. “It is my hope that at the end of the season we have maxed out our potential.” Wood said, “Time will tell where that potential lies.”
New diving coach, Mallory West, is also another coach joining LHS athletics. “Diving is a sport I am very passionate about.” West said, “It gives me tremendous joy to share my knowledge and strategies with high school students.”
West has coached gymnastics and cheerleading at LGA, and diving at both Freestate and LHS. “I started teaching diving and swimming lessons the summer of 2008 when I became a lifeguard.” West said.
The transition of becoming a new coach was fairly easy for West. “I had dove for LHS for the 2005-2008 seasons.” West said, “So I knew the sport, I knew the high school rules, and I knew LHS.”
West did however come across a few challenges. “The most difficult part about being a new coach was knowing the entire rule book for diving.” West said.
West has also been the diving referee for meets at LHS. “It is a lot of responsibility to undertake during my first season.” West said, “I have had coaches with thirty years of experience that want to challenge the calls I have made when their divers fail dives, and I have to stand behind the rule book.”
This season, West expects her team to continue to improve. “My divers will continue to improve and have a higher degree of difficulty at each meet.”
West has enjoyed coaching a team that she used to be a part of. “My favorite part of being a coach for LHS is representing the school that I love.”