Prom to resume for 2021 seniors

Lawrence High student council making plans for outdoor prom

Courtesy of Rose Hicks

In 2020, students had to make due with at-home proms. This year, they’ll be able to celebrate in person. In this 2020 photo, Rose Hicks dines on chicken alfredo before her virtual prom.

By Tessa Collar, Staff Writer

After a year filled with change, Lawrence High seniors will be able to attend prom with added safety precautions.

This announcement comes after senior Student Council members’ proposals for the event were approved by the school district’s executive planning board. The approved plan outlines prom being held outside, online ticket sales and only allowing Lawrence High seniors to attend. In previous years, seniors could invite dates.

Student body co-president Donnavan Dillon emphasized the importance of seniors having the opportunity to attend prom after the event was canceled last year amid stay-at-home orders

“Talking to the board, we talked about how much prom meant to seniors and how much it means to have an event where we can just enjoy ourselves and make memories,” Dillon said.

StuCo members are working to make the event as safe as possible, speaking with COVID specialists from the Douglas County Health Department and implementing strict safety guidelines.

“From the discussions, day one, of having in person events, having prom, making it as safe as possible has always been our key priority,” Dillon said. “At prom, there’s going to be a zero tolerance policy. If you don’t listen [to safety guidelines], you just won’t be present at the event.”

Associate Principal Mark Preut is encouraged by students overall following safety guidelines.

“I am confident that any approved event will incorporate procedures and safeguards to provide a safe event for students to participate in,” Preut said. “As we have done walkthroughs and observed for compliance to COVID mitigation protocols, there has been a high level of compliance.”

Senior Tanner Glanton supports holding a safe version of prom.

“I do plan to attend,” Glanton said. “I think that with the precautions being taken in school and considering it is being held outside I think it will be conducted safely. I think it’s good for the seniors to have something that is somewhat close to normal prom.”

Dillon confirmed efforts to make the event similar to what it would look like in a normal year.

“We really wanted to have a prom experience that wasn’t too foreign from the actual experiences you have at a dance,” Dillon said. “What we ended up doing was merging the ideas of prom and after prom.”

Preut stressed the importance of continuing to be cognizant of safety precautions in holding a large event like prom.
“I am encouraged by more and more people getting vaccinated and by compliance with mask wearing and other measures but we must still exercise caution and use the most current recommendations from the district as they coordinate with local health authorities,” he said.

Sarah Farhat contributed to this report.