Sophomore learns the art of unicycling

1_Sisson

Photo by Ryan Hutchins

By Ryan Hutchins

For most people, common pastimes include spending time with friends or going to sporting events. Sophomore Morgan Sisson opts to balance precariously on one wheel several feet off the ground.

“I mainly just picked up a unicycle because it was interesting and I wanted to challenge myself,” Sisson said.

Sisson first learned how to ride a unicycle when his brother, Alex, got one for Christmas when Sisson was 8 years old. That following summer, he was determined to learn the art of unicycling, even when his brother couldn’t, due to balance issues.

“I kind of sat on the unicycle and my brother would push me off, and then I would get back on,” Sisson said. “I eventually learned how to ride. He never learned, got mad and just quit.”

When sophomore Erin Ventura first found out that Sisson unicycles, she was supportive and eager to try it out.

“The first time I saw him, I thought it was pretty cool,” Ventura said. “He actually let me try. That didn’t go too well.”

After seeing Sisson stick with unicycling for so long, sophomore Alexus Molina was inspired to do the same.

“He’s even teaching me to unicycle,” Molina said.

The biggest reward that presents itself with unicycling is the ability to affect a group of people’s emotions with a single action, Sisson said.

“I think the best part of unicycling is just kind of like the awe that people get when you ride by,” Sisson said. “You know, you ride by a school and children smile at you and wave and they’re like ‘Oh, you’re so cool.’ It just kind of makes you happy that one person can make a whole group of people happy.”

At last year’s FYI Talent Show, Sisson placed third overall with a unicycling routine. He also plans to be a part of this year’s talent show, although he does not plan on unicycling.

“I will be playing my trombone with the band, ‘Arrgh,’ ” Sisson said. “I might unicycle in it, but you’ll have to wait and see.”

Sisson plans to perform on a bigger stage in the future. Every year, the International Unicycling federation (IUF) sanctions the World Unicycling Championship (UNICON). Events include basketball, marathon, artistic and track races. The next championships will take place next summer in Montreal. Sisson hopes to become skilled enough to be able to compete in something similar to UNICON.

“I feel like I’m not good enough to compete yet,” Sisson said. “I have plans to compete in the future.”