The Lawrencian: Lone Star Lake

Photo By Genevieve Voigt

By Genevieve Voigt

We’re in the middle of the nicest time to be in Kansas: we’re not dying of heat or sliding around in our cars on ice. You can actually go outside without being super uncomfortable.

Combining this nice weather with my energetic dog made me decide to get outside a little bit. I live really close to Lone Star Lake, so I let Rumo, my dog, jump into my truck and we drove over there.

The path I went on is an old road that winds through the woods along the shoreline. It’s really secluded and pretty. It’s a great place for dogs, especially ones like mine – energetic and always wanting to go out and do something exciting. My other dog, Ellie, is older and prefers to go a little slower, but enjoys getting outside just as much.

We went from one area with a picnic table to a place where we can access the lake. Ellie has never been interested in fetch, but Rumo loves it when I throw a stick or ball out into the water and he has to swim to get it. It’s also a good way for him to cool down after running a lot.

It’s a really pretty time of year right now, but it’s going to get cold soon. I’m already hearing Christmas advertisements on the radio…

Before it’s freezing, you might want to get outside. In January we’re all going to be dying for fresh air. Consider going to Lone Star Lake if you don’t know where to go. It’s really beautiful. Also, if you have dogs, they will love you forever if you take them.

There are also great scenic roads around the lake, which are good for biking or walking. If you’ve never been to Lone Star, definitely plan a trip sometime.

191
View Comments (191)