Film Critic: Carrie (2013)

MV5BMTc1MDIyOTkxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTU1NzEzMDE@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_

Photo Credit: IMDB

By Nia Rutledge

Carrie (2013) is a remake of the original Carrie film made in 1976. Both are film adaptations of the Stephen King novel. Carrie (2013) was directed by Kimberly Peirce, whom has also directed Boy Don’t Cry. The main character are Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore.

There has been a lot of hype surrounding this movie. Every time I visited IMDb or YouTube, I would always see some sort of ad about the new Carrie. I had not seen the original Carrie before I went to see the new version, but I watched the original a couple hours after seeing the remake. Even though it wasn’t until Friday that I actually saw the story of Carrie play out, I was moderately accustomed to the plot and it has been on my “Movies to Watch” list for quite some time.

I was so excited to see the movie, because I love Chloe Moretz, Julianne Moore is a fantastic actress and Ansel Elgort is in it too. Ansel Elgort is a new actor who has booked a few roles in other book-to-movie adaptations such as Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars.

(Which are books that I a big fan of and so excited for the movie releases. I was really judging him in this movie because he either has an awesome agent or there’s something special about him.)

I don’t care for any of the other characters. I probably couldn’t point them out in a line if I had to. Basically, all the other actors had horrendous acting skills, at least they aren’t the main focus.

So, if you’re wondering why they decide to remake Carrie in the first place, the answer is: Money. The remake doesn’t add much to the original storyline. The only major differences are: the modernization of technology (a.k.a cell phones), you see Carrie use her powers a bit more, and there’s a much more intense revenge scene.

But besides that, nothing is new. The only way to explain it is that they made it for profit. Considering that there isn’t any severe differences, it’s easy to tell that the film wasn’t made for fans of the original Carrie. I believe that the film was made to appeal to the younger generations that weren’t even born when the original came out.

That being said, I really like the remake. As I was researching, I came upon a lot of frustrated people who were fans of the original and saw the new Carrie as completely unnecessary and the bad.

I personally, dare I say it, think that the remake is so much better than the original. It may have to do with me being younger, it may have to do with me seeing the remake before the original, but I really liked it.

I especially like Julianne Moore, who plays the mother of Carrie, a lot. The new mother is so much creepier,scarier, and crazier than the original. I think new revenge scene is a lot more satisfying. When I watched the original one, I thought “Is that it?” in comparison to the remake. I was squeezing the seat infront of me in satisfaction of the of the killings. The whole movie takes on a much darker tone than that of the original.

The remake isn’t perfect though. There are some odd effects going on. In the revenge scene, the way Chloe is positioned on the harnesses is a bit wonky and odd, and her hand movements when she is using her powers seems very unfit at times. Another thing that might be bothersome is that Chloe Moretz is a very pretty girl. It didn’t bother me, but Sissy Spacek was a pretty girl too.

As a result, I would watch the remake again. I probably wouldn’t watch the original again though, i just couldn’t get into it as much. Overall, I would say it’s a coin-flip. If you really liked the original and think that it’s perfect, it remake may disappoint you. If you were left feeling nothing after the original, see the remake. If you haven’t seen the original, see the remake.

Rating: 6.8/10