The Trend Report: Fall Layering

2013-08-23 07.09.47

Kendra Schwartz

Photo By Ashley Hocking

By Kendra Schwartz

As the students of Lawrence High begin their transition from summer to fall, a new trend is beginning to appear everywhere: layering.

Although a few of the students keep up with New York Fashion Week, some of the trends aren’t as viable for the current scorching Kansas weather. While Rachel Zoe as well as a handful of other designers are advocating for bold outerwear for the fall, some students are making their own adjustments to fit the hot weather.

Although the weather outside makes a good number of students grab their crop tops and high-waisted shorts, the temperature inside gives them other ideas. So while the AC is cranked up high in the classrooms of LHS, we can utilize the faux cold weather to meet our fashion needs.

Vests certainly appear to be making a comeback this season. Whether they are denim, cotton, or of a warmer material, students are using this piece as the perfect accessory to transform their summer wardrobe into more suited looks for the colder upcoming weather.

Senior Katie Gaches is a fan of the versatility of vests.

“A denim vest can help dress-down a party dress; a fringed or embroidered vest can add some indie flair to an outfit,” Gaches said. “Better yet, vests can provide an extra comfy layer without the commitment of a jacket. Instead of covering up what you’re wearing, a vest can enhance it.”

Although the denim vest trend began in Spring of 2013 with the “Just Cavalli” collection, this same piece is just now hitting stores here in Lawrence.

Whether you’re looking to incorporate your own denim vest from the summer into your fall wardrobe or simply hunting for layering pieces in the fall, add a vest to your fall essentials if you’re looking to layer in style.

If you want to be in next week’s Trend Report, be sure to tweet what you’re wearing with the hashtag #OOTD to @lhsbudget. Stay trendy.

146