Backyard Culture: I voted today…did you?

Tuesday, was a historic election. Barack Obama was re-elected President, Tammy Baldwin became the first openly gay US Senator ever, and Colorado legalized marijuana. There are some big changes happening in our country.

It was a historic election for me personally, because for the first time I got to exercise my most basic democratic right: the right to vote. I was excited, and if I’m being honest a little bit nervous, to vote for the first time. What if I forgot my ID? What if I filled out the ballot wrong? What if I went to the wrong polling place?

My anxiety quickly diminished when I entered my polling place and was greeted by a cluster of old ladies. I nervously told them it was my first time voting and they erupted into a chorus of “Congratulations!” and cheers. They all wanted to shake my hand.

That’s when I realized voting is a really big deal. I had always kind of understood the importance of voting, but it wasn’t until I was casting my ballot that I realized how awesome it is to have a say in who leads our country. I was a part of something huge, I realized. I was helping to make history.

I know the critics that say our votes don’t matter, but I disagree. They do matter. They matter a lot, and it is our job as responsible citizens to vote for the candidate we think best. Change won’t magically happen on its own. We have to push, nudge, and help change along. Voting is one way that we can do that.

xxx

Mara McAllister