Slice of Nice: How to choose a charity to give to this season

If you are exhanging gifts with people this year, and you don’t want to buy or receive more “stuff”, consider giving to a charity. It’s best to research before you commit to a charity so your money is going to the right place. Sites like charitynavigator.org can aid your search. 

Charity Navigator has various top ten lists (including the top ten great charities with the low paid CEOs), categories of charities, and browse function that shows each charity’s rank from 1-4 stars.

When looking for a charity, consider the following tips to help you choose a charity:

1) Follow an interest. I have an interest in media, so I might give to a public radio station.

2) Go local. Local charities don’t pay large salaries to CEO’s, and the money goes back to people in your community.

3) Consider giving non-cash gifts. Book and food drives are great for donating old and new items straight to the peopel who need them.

4) Say no to phone solicitations. Telemarkers get to keep a portion of the money you give if you donate via phone.

5) Don’t spread yourself too thin. Pick a few charities you love, and give them the resources they need to suceed.  If you develop a solid relationship with a charity, someday you may get more influence in its proceedings.

Remember, giving to charity is tax deductable; just another great reason to give!