Lions set for rematch against BVNW in state tournament

McKenna White

The scoreboard at the Koch Arena at Wichita State is filled with 6A high school scores and highlights this week.

By William Yanek, Online Co-Editor

Tonight at 6:30, the #8 seed Lions will face off against the #1 seed Blue Valley Northwest in the 6A Kansas state basketball tournament at Koch Arena.

The #1 seed Huskies come into the game with a 17-3 record and a share of the Eastern Kansas League title. In the sub-state final against Gardner-Edgerton, BVNW cruised to a 72-35 victory.

While coming in as the underdog, the #8 seed Lions are not unfamiliar with this stage. This will be the fourth straight state tournament appearance for the Lions under coach Mike Lewis, and in the state championship last year the Lions nearly came back from a double-digit deficit against a loaded BVNW team.

After dropping five straight games midway through the season, the Lions rebounded by winning five out of the next six games. They did this through a combination of excellent three point shooting from guards Zeke Mayo, Jake Rajewski, and Trey Quartlebaum as well as athletic play making from Clarence King and Anthony Selden.

The stage is set for an epic rematch. The winner will play at 8:15 Friday in the state semifinal.