Baseball player describes Spring Break baseball trip

Ian Jones

Junior Andrew Stewart went with the baseball team to Arkansas and Missouri to start off the season.

By Cooper Wright, Staff Writer

The baseball team headed down to Arkansas and Missouri to start off their season during Spring Break. After a loss and a game cancellation, the Lions look to gain momentum for the rest of their season.

They started off with a 4-3 loss to Shiloh Christian Academy on Mar. 22. They then headed to Springfield Missouri to play Kickapoo High School on Mar. 24 and were up 1-0 at the beginning of the game before it was cancelled due to weather.

“[The cancellation] went over fine,” junior Andrew Stewart said. “The coaches were pretty happy with us and how we played.”

Stewart also thought the team played pretty well in the first game.

“For our first game I think we played well because that was Shiloh Christian’s eighth game,” he said. “So I think we handled ourselves pretty well.”

With a long bus ride down, the team had a while to bond and become closer.

“We get along really well as a team,” Stewart said.

As the season has gone along, the team is looking to correct weaknesses and emphasize strengths especially ones that they saw in their first two games.

“We could have not beat ourselves as much by having less errors and more timely hits,” Stewart said.

Since the trip, the team has gone 1-3, with a big win over Rockhurst. Stewart reflected on what he learned.

“We learned to play a much cleaner game,” he said.

Stewart and the team look to take this knowledge and experience into the rest of the season.