Overview: Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery of tests or ASVAB, is a series of tests administered to all military applicants. The test is the military’s equivalent of the SAT or ACT. The test covers 8 subjects: General Science, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Mathematics Knowledge, Electronics Information, Auto and Shop Information, and Mechanical Comprehension. The test’s goal is to judge your potential for certain careers, rather than testing your academic knowledge like the SAT or ACT tests.
Taking the test does not require you to enlist in any of the armed forces. Taking the test merely shows you the military career options available to you should you consider enlisting. Scoring higher on the test will improve your chances of having a specialty position or signing bonus available to you upon your enlistment. The test also counts towards your Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT) score. The AFQT determines whether or not you are qualified to join the military.

Before taking the test you should research what the test is about and what it will measure, studying is also an option. Practice tests and other study materials can be found at military.com/join-armed-forces/asvab. Military.com recommends that you begin studying at least two months before the test if you wish to get a satisfactory score and to focus on your weaknesses while studying. Be aware that it is impossible to “ace” the ASVAB, so your main goal is to do the best you can do. Below are some of Military.com’s dos and don’ts for the test.

DO:

• Ask questions
  • Follow instructions
  • Read the keyboard instructions carefully
  • Use plenty of scratch paper
  • Do things carefully the first time!
  • Eliminate answers that are obviously wrong
  • Guess if you cannot figure out a question within 1-2 minutes

DON’T:

• Take too long on any one question
  • Talk to your neighbor(s)
  • Press the wrong keys on the keyboard
  • Skip questions (you cannot go back)
  • Fall asleep