Royalty embrace Homecoming

For seniors Lindsey Fangman and Tristan Alfie, the best part of Homecoming night on Friday could have been being crowned king and queen.

It could have been watching the Lions beat the defending state champs, Olathe South, 34-27. It might have even been dressing up and being hugged by friends and family.

Instead, their highlight — the one they couldn’t stop talking about — was riding around in a golf cart decorated with their names.

“That was easily the best part,” Alfie said.

When Alfie was driving, Fangman said she enjoyed pushing down the gas pedal.

“We would zoom forward, and I would be like ‘No! What are you doing?’ “ Alfie said.

To get to the golf carts, these seniors had to go through two rounds of voting that selected the 12 final candidates.

Making it onto court, “was a humongous surprise,” Alfie said. “I wasn’t expecting that at all.”

The court included: seniors Brad Strauss, Shane Willoughby, Tristan Alfie, Adam Edmonds, Audie Monroe, Erick Mayo, Alexis Mountain, Mackenzie Owens, Chandler McElhaney, Sydney Watson, Zoe Reed and Lindsey Fangman.

After a week filled with premiering the Homecoming video, participating in Rally Around the Lion and riding in the Homecoming parade, the night finally came when they would find out the results — at halftime of the football game. LHS was taking on Olathe South, which won the class 6A football title in 2011, making the game highly publicized.

With a news helicopter, news broadcasting cameras, photographers and a packed fan section, Fangman had one more thing to worry about: her dress had just ripped.

At the beginning of the game, someone accidentally stepped on her dress. So Fangman, her mom and her mom’s friend rushed to the bathroom to quickly stitch it back together before halftime.

“I was a little freaked out,” Fangman said. “I thought it was ruined.”

Luckily, the sewing job proved successful.

“It looks fine now, you can hardly tell,” Alfie said. “You have to really be looking at it.”

As the clock ticked down to halftime, candidates simply had to sit and wait.

“That minute — the last minute of the [half] — was the longest minute of football in history,” Alfie said.

Fangman agreed the nerves began kicking in at this point.

“We were so nervous,” Fangman said. “We were like, ‘Even if we don’t win, it’s still going to be great because we love everyone on court.’”

When their names were announced, the only emotions the two could feel were excitement and shock.

“I still can’t really believe it,” Alfie said.

This experience meant more than just a cape and a crown for Alfie and Fangman.

“It’s the thought that everyone voted for us,” Fangman said.

“The thought that we were chosen to represent the school,” Alfie added.

Both agree they will take away new friends and memories from being on Homecoming court.

“We were all really good friends, and it was a lot of fun,” Alfie said. “Everyone deserved to win.”