Sophomore wrestler adds spark to team

For 13 years, sophomore Reece Conklin has been hitting the mats and wrestling with all he has got. Although only a sophomore, Conklin is on the LHS Varsity Wrestling team for his second year in a row. As a freshman, Conklin competed at State and earned himself 5th place. His success as a wrestler can be attributed to his hard work.

Since the age of four, Conklin has been wrestling.

“I got a flyer for the Lawrence Wrestling Club,” Conklin said. “I just tried it and stuck with it.”

Sticking with it has proven to pay off. In 2005, Conklin traveled all the way to Reno, Nevada for a world-wide tournament. The result? Conklin won his weight class. Also in 2005, Conklin made it to the World All-Star team and won three national tournaments. The World All-Star team forced Conklin to grow as a person and as a wrestler.

“It was good,” Conklin said. “It was a big point in my career, as in wrestling, because it made me step up my game a lot more.”

Another factor that has made Conklin a stronger wrestler is the infamous “wrestler’s diet.” The wrestler’s diet is mainly used to cut weight. On a typical day during wrestling season, Conklin usually consumes chicken, rice, salad and fruit, with chicken being a favorite. In the off-season, Conklin is free to eat what he chooses, though he never drinks soda.

“Off-season, I get big for football and stuff,” Conklin said. “There’s no plan for how big I get, because I do like to eat.”

In the future, Conklin plans to move up to the 189 weight division from the 160 division so that his diet is no longer needed.

“It does not feel good at all,” said Conklin. “It’s hard to gain energy.”

Conklin also does freestyle wrestling and Greco (Roman Wrestling) during the off-season. His training includes running, squats and lifting weights. When the wrestling season comes to an end, the friendships made while on the team will continue to hold strong.

“We hang out pretty much all weekend,” Conklin said.

Conklin and his friends have been wrestling together for a long time. They get along very well and hang out with each other all the time.

With a successful past, Conklin’s real promise lies in the future. Though he works to get better, Conklin also has pure natural ability.

“He can get out of a sticky situation when he needs to,” assistant coach Brad Page said.

Conklin also has an excellent body for wrestling. Both Page and senior wrestler Dustin Walthall agree that Reece has great hips.

“He’s one of the most athletic kids I’ve ever seen, but he runs like a duck,” Walthall said.

The physical nature of the sport is what Conklin enjoys most. This season, Conklin has finished no less than second in all of his matches. While preparing for his matches, Conklin has a specific way to get on track.

“I listen to music a good 15-30 minutes before to get focused,” Conklin said. “I don’t run around. I just stay seated until my match and stay focused.”

Conklin has proven to be a key wrestler in the Lawrence High wrestling program. Conklin’s hard work has paid off with the season he has had thus far. In the future, he plans to carry on his wrestling career. Conklin would like to earn a scholarship to Iowa or Iowa State, two of the nation’s top wrestling programs.

“I’m real good at it, and I’m not going to stop,” Conklin said.