Old Rival, New Tradition

With LHS attempting to avoid its first winless season since 1906, and Free State looking to build on its State Championship runner-up season, each team prepares to play its cross-town rival. This will start a new tradition of playing the rivalry game on the turf of each high school.

Practice will not change in preparation for the game. The Lions will remain who they are and who they have been the whole season.

Senior linebacker Taylor Coleman and running back Tyrae Jenkins are not going to change how they practice. Both Coleman and Jenkins say that they need to stay positive and motivated in practice and that they need to stay hungry.

Coach Dirk Wedd agrees.

“We need to keep getting better in practice,” Wedd said. “We need to leave the field better than we came on.”

For the seniors on the team, this game is very important. LHS has not won this game in four years, and the seniors feel they have to prove themselves.

Despite the significance of the game, coach Wedd wants his team to prepare for the Firebirds like any other opponent.

“We are not going to change for Free State,” Wedd said. “What we do is run the ball, so that’s what we will do.”

Wedd said there will be two big challenges to the game.

“We have to stop Torneden; he is the key to their offense,” Wedd said. “And we need to have success running against their defense.”

LHS will have to stop Torneden and senior tailback Kirk Resseguie who are the 1-2 punch for the Firebird’s offense.

Defensive coach Adam Green said the big thing the Lions need to do is stop Torneden. Green says that he is the heart of their team. If the Lions can get him down and frustrated, it will hurt the Firebird offense.

The Lions face a difficult road game, playing at Free State for the first time. They will also have to overcome injuries and play their best to beat a talented Free State team.