Budget investigation: In school suspension

A student walks through the doorway, an escort follows suit. The student walks over to a desk and sits down, quietly waiting for the escort to finish speaking with ISS supervisor Navonne Easter.

“What did you do to get into ISS?” Easter asks.

The escort leaves as Easter asks the student to fill out a T.A.S.K. sheet and to explain why he is now in Room 135.

The T.A.S.K. sheet asks four questions: why you are in ISS?, what behaviors caused you to act this way?, what could you have done to avoid said behaviors and what will you do in the future to not repeat the behavior? Also on the sheet is space for a student to list what their goals are for the ISS session and to describe how they will reward themselves.

As Easter looks over a student’s answers, she asks the student to work on homework or to read quietly. The time spent waiting is considered as academic time where the student is expected to be working. During the entire length of the stay in ISS, the student must stay quiet.

At this point in the process, the rules are laid out. No talking, no passing notes, no electronic devices, no sleeping, no profanity, no dress code violations, no personal grooming, no inappropriate behavior, no outbursts and no food or drink are allowed throughout the day. However, at lunch time, lunch will be eaten in the ISS room.

The schedule of the day now begins in earnest with academic time. Students will work solely on homework, if they do not have homework; then Easter will request teachers to bring work to the ISS room.

After each passing period, Easter asks the student if they are too hot or too cool, and if they would like to go to the bathroom. If so, Easter will then escort the student to the bathroom, or she will reach into her desk and pull out a large red hall pass. On this pass Easter will write out who the student is, where he or she is going and when he or she is expected to return. If the student does not return within the time limit, additional ISS time may be added.

The length of time spent in ISS varies from the remainder of a class period up to multiple days depending on the offense. However, if the student breaks any of the rules, then security is called to remove the student. Security is required to escort a student from ISS. This security is a security guard and one of the school resource officers. Easter then has to fill out a discipline referral sheet, also known as a pink sheet, which is then sent to the assistant principal’s office.

Lunch begins at 11 a.m. in ISS. At this time Easter escorts the student to the cafeteria, where she also gets her lunch. While walking in the halls, she stays within a couple of feet of the student. After a student has a tray of food, the walk back to Room 135 begins. Sometimes this walk overlaps with the passing period between third and fourth hour. Once everyone is back in the ISS room, the student returns to his or her desk and begins to eat. After lunch is done, trays are stacked neatly on a desk, and the student returns to work.

At 1 p.m. service time begins. This time is spent working on a task within LHS; it can be anything from picking up trash to stacking chairs in the cafeteria after lunch. Once service time ends, the student walks back to the ISS room to resume working until the end of the day.

Once the student’s time is finished, if he or she was cooperative, a little piece of candy can brighten the end of the time in ISS.