Staff Editorial: Freshmen should not move up to high school

High school is a better place without freshman. District officials are thinking about adding freshmen in Lawrence high schools and changing up the system, but the current system makes school easier for everyone.     

Freshman should not be at high school level for many reasons.

First, the halls are crowded enough without freshmen, and adding 400 road blocks would not help traffic flow. Next, there would be disadvantages for the freshman themselves. Most freshmen are not mature enough to handle the responsibilities and freedoms of high school and the stress and anxiety of dealing with high school courses and the physical differences between the grades.

Some lobby for the change because adding freshman could save the district money. Yet, such a move actually would cost more money than it would generate. Major renovations would have to be done on the high schools to serve a larger student body, and the district would be wasting space in the newly upgraded junior highs. Also to support the increase of students, the high schools would need more staff members. It would also put more stress on the teachers because some would need recertification for teaching ninth graders.

Despite the monetary advantages of having freshmen at the high schools, the disadvantages far outweigh the benefits. The 400 extra students would add unnecessary strain on already crowded halls. Adding freshman to the halls would be like compressing a can of sardines. The idea is ill-advised and unnecessary. Not to mention the fact that Lawrence High does not have enough lockers to accommodate some 1,800 students.    

Parking at Lawrence High School is already unpleasant, but with the freshman it would just get even worse. Most freshmen don’t drive to school but with some of them on the road it will cause more trouble. Our learning environment would deteriorate with larger class sizes if we don’t add to the size of the building.

The board of education needs to keep the system the way it is. Our current system is what we are used to and have worked with for years.

Should Freshmen be at LHS?

Staff Vote:

No: 18 votes |  Yes: 0 votes

Student Body Vote:

46% No | 40% Don’t Care | 14% Yes