KU Band Day, Jamboree cancelations disappoint band

The Jamboree and the KU Band Day Parade, two major fall events, have been the earliest performances for the Lawrence High Band. This year, however, neither event took place. 

The cancellation of the Jamboree was due to incomplete construction work on the LHS stadium; the City of Lawrence would not grant the school a certificate of occupancy.  This event is the band’s first time to show off what they have been working on. 

“They were a little disappointed that they didn’t get to perform, but they practice on the field everyday, and they understood that it wasn’t ready yet,” band director Mike Jones said. 

Although the band members understood, disappointment still floated around as another key band event, the KU Band Day Parade, was also cancelled.

The traditional KU Band Day Parade has been around for 62 years.  This year, the parade was cancelled due to the KU football game time that day.  The game starts at 11 a.m., and if a parade were to go on, there would just simply not be enough time to march down Massachusetts Street.  And according to Jones, the band will be there as long as there is a parade. 

“There are thousands of people watching the band go by,” Jones said. “It’s kind of the only event where people can see these three local bands in the same parade

As for the future of the KU Band Day Parade, no one knows for sure.  It all depends on the next year’s KU football game time.  Unlike this year, next year LHS can count on the Jamboree.  Though the band did not get to take part in either event, they will have many future opportunities to show off all of their work.

Upcoming Band Events

Home Game                                                              9-18-09

Home Game                                                              9-25-09

Band Competition (at Blue Valley)              9-26-09

145