After involvement in four sports, senior runner to attend KU for track

Senior to continue track in college

During the Emporia Invitational on 
Sept. 8, senior Evann Seratte focuses ahead. She paced the Lions on the day, finishing 45th overall, as the team took sixth.

McKenna White

During the Emporia Invitational on Sept. 8, senior Evann Seratte focuses ahead. She paced the Lions on the day, finishing 45th overall, as the team took sixth.

By Gary Schmidt, Editor-in-Chief

Lao Tzu once said that the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

This is a mantra that the Lawrence High track and field program lives by. Ironically enough, the journey for one of the greatest athletes to ever come through their program began late. Later than most runners begin, later than most runners begin to prioritize it and later than most fall in love with the sport of running.

Fortunately enough, good things come to those who wait. Senior Evann Seratte began running in the seventh grade, more or less as a social activity. However, it was clear right away that this was something Seratte was going to continue to pursue.

“I tried it out in the seventh grade just to do a sport really,” Serrate said. “It turned out that running came pretty naturally to me, and I enjoyed getting exercise and making friends through it so I decided to continue it in high school.”

Fast forward five years, one school record and one state championship, Seratte stands with a world of opportunities left in her last season.

However, the University of Kansas track and field signee, did not even consider collegiate running until a short time ago.

“It wasn’t until close to senior year that I really became comfortable with the idea of running at the collegiate level,” Seratte said. “I guess winning a state championship and breaking a school record helped me see that I was capable of competing at a D1 level.”

Another huge factor of this decision, was saying goodbye to one of her childhood loves: playing soccer. Despite her involvement in four sports at Lawrence High (track and field, cross country, basketball and soccer), the hardest one to let go for Seratte was undoubtedly soccer.

“Choosing track over soccer was a very hard decision for me,” Seratte said. “Soccer was my favorite sport, but I finally realized where my future was.”

However, for teammates and coaches alike, it was always apparent that Seratte was destined to shine in whatever she chose.

“Evann has added a certain standard of intensity and work ethic to the program,” Leslie Ostronic, a teammate of Seratte’s in all four of her sports, said. “She also contributes a positive approach to everything.”

In every season, every game and every practice, Seratte is a consistent, positive presence.

“Evann’s energy uplifts everyone else on the team,” Ostronic said. “Not a negative thing can be said about her. All of the team trusts, admires and respects her.”

Similarly, her state championship coach, Jack Hood, was quick to comment on not only the quality of athlete she is, but the quality of a person she is.

“She has been a great teammate and leader,” Hood said. “She has been willing to sacrifice personal glory for team success.”

Despite all of her success, Hood insists that his expectations for his star athlete remain the same.

“I expect her to continue to do what she has done for the past three years: be a top tier competitor and a great teammate,“ Hood said.

Regardless of any hype around her, Seratte is focused on improving herself and preparing for her final year.

“It’s crazy to think that I only have one more season as a Chesty Lion,” Seratte said. “Personally, I want to win state in both the 400 and 800 this year.”

Above all, however, Seratte wants to end her career on top.

“This next sentence isn’t so much a goal, more like me telling you what’s going to happen because I’m confident,” Seratte said. “We’re winning state.”