Security guard creates out of school athletic training program

New program challenges students to 'Never Be Satisfied'

Security guard and assistant football coach, Jeff Colter works on a footwork drill with junior Deshon Lewis in the weight room after school.

Leslie Ostronic

By Alex Stark, Staff Writer

In order to help student athletes improve their bodies and minds in the off-season, security guard and assistant football coach Jeff Colter created his training program Never Be Satisfied.

Colter, who was a college and semi-professional football player, started Never Be Satisfied in 2017. The name is derived from a phrase he used to motivate a group of young people he coached in 2012. Colter would encourage them to work harder by telling them to never be satisfied with where they were.

“There’s going to be times when you’re going to face adversity in life, whether it be in school or sports, the workplace,” Colter said. “And you know, you just can’t let anything keep you down.”

Senior EJ Jewsome joined Colter’s program this year in order to help prepare him for the upcoming football season.

“I play D-line so my hands and my footwork are really important to that position,” Jewsome said. “Coach Colter, you tell him what you do and what position you play and he focuses his workouts toward the things that will make you better at that position. Every time I work with him, I’m always doing something with fast hands or fast feet, ladders or something. I think just the way he specializes in each position really helps a lot of athletes here.”

Another student influenced by the Never Be Satisfied program is junior baseball player Rhett May. May believes that Colter’s teaching helped him push through his training with optimism.

“He’s just pushed me to become better and to keep a positive mindset,” said May. “He’s always influenced me to work hard….It [Never Be Satisfied] influenced me to just keep working, keep working harder, and it’s helped me by making me stronger faster, and realizing how my body works better.”

One of the biggest takeaways from the program for was learning how to lead by example.

“He [Colter] has influenced me to work harder,” Jewsome said. “I didn’t ever really think I could be a leader by just showing by example working harder, and he really opened my eyes to that.”

Some participants plan on applying the skills from Never Be Satisfied to life after high school. Senior Jakoby Masters will continue his football career in a new environment.

“I am committing to Bethel College for football and majoring in exercise science,” Masters said. “[I hope to] focus on relationships with my teammates and coaches and just getting better and work hard.”

Colter’s goal is for all of his athletes to have a winning mentality, and to always continue playing their hardest whether it is on the field or the court.

“Reach your goals, one day at a time and just continue to build up to what you’re looking for one day at a time,” Colter said.

About the Contributors
Alex Stark, Videographer

Hey! My name is Alex and I'm a junior. I play varsity soccer for the school in the Fall and for my club team in the Spring. In my free time I like to...

Leslie Ostronic, Photographer

Hello! I'm Leslie Ostronic and I'm a senior. For LHS, I participate in cross country, basketball, soccer, and track. Outside of school I'm occupied with...