Golf team sends three to state tournament

Lions qualify for state despite rough conditions

Addie Thornsbury

Junior Josie Abernathy hits a shot out of the rough during the Sept. 26 golf tournament at Eagle Bend. Abernathy was one of three Lions to qualify for the state tournament.

By Gary Schmidt, Editor-in-Chief

Golf is a sport usually reserved for days with favorable conditions: warm weather, bright sun and maybe a gentle breeze.

On Oct. 8, the girls golf team faced anything but that for their Class 6A Regional tournament at Tex Consolver Golf Course in Wichita.

In conditions closer to a hurricane than a fair day for golf, the Lions battled the rough conditions and qualified three individuals for the state tournament. Freshman Rylie Hayden and junior Josie Abernathy qualified for their first trips to state, while senior Beatrice Lopez did for her third.

Despite the fact that she was facing possibly the last tournament of her career, Lopez said she remained calm, and even used the nervous energy to help her succeed.

“I was pretty nervous, yet calm when I actually had to play,” Lopez said. “I was really happy to play golf even though it was raining and rough conditions. I knew that I had to make the most of it because it could be my last tournament.”

Lopez making it to state was more of a foregone conclusion, however, for Abernathy, qualifying came as a surprise.

“I wasn’t expecting it,” Abernathy said. “My parents were behind me and told me congratulations, and I didn’t know what to do.”

Whether their reactions came as an expectation or as a surprise, according to Lopez, qualifying three girls for state is a huge testament for the growing program.

When Lopez joined as a freshman, she was one of two golfers in the program. This season, the team boasted 14 girls.

“The program has grown so much over the years,” Lopez said. “My freshman year we had two golfers. Now, we have 14. I am grateful that more girls are trying out and trying new sports. I think our coaches like Coach Schmitt and Coach Moos have really pushed people and advertised and talked about the golf team to get more people to come out each year.”

Now, with one final tournament left in her career, Lopez planned on enjoying the experience.

“[Qualifying for state] feels good,” Lopez said. “I am proud of myself for doing it, pushing through and trying out for a new sport and having the courage to try golf my freshman year. It has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”

At state on Oct. 16, Lopez led the Lions by finishing 18th.