Changing up the venue

Lawrence High School’s Philharmonic Orchestra performed March 27 on the Kauffman Center stage.

erforming+%E2%80%94+Lawrence+High+School%E2%80%99s+Philharmonic+Orchestra+performs+March+27+on+the+Kauffman+Center+stage.+Some+parents+of+the+students+attended.+
erforming — Lawrence High School’s Philharmonic Orchestra performs March 27 on the Kauffman Center stage. Some parents of the students attended.

Lori Hanson

Lori Hanson

By Elyzebeth Workman, Staff Writer

Symphonic Orchestra and Philharmonic Orchestra students performed at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts in Kansas City, Mo., on March 27.

While there, the student also listened to performances from Park Hill South High School and the Kansas City Youth Symphony. The Kauffman Center is home to the Kansas City Symphony.

“It’s a privilege to go to it, and it’s not everyday that you get to perform at the Kauffman Center,” sophomore violinist Lisa Yang said.

After the performances, Youth Symphony conductor Steven Davis held a clinic for the orchestra where he critiqued their performances of Aaron Copland’s “Hoe-Down” and Ralph Vaughan Williams “Phantasia.”

“He’s really loud and really energetic and funny, but also terrifying cause he’s loud and energetic,” junior violinist Andrea Maack said. “He just be screaming, ‘Energy! Energy! Energy!’ ”

Orchestra conductor Rachel Dirks set up this event to help the students prepare for future competitions. This is the first year the orchestra has ever done this event at the Kauffman Center.  

“Being one of four schools and being able to play with Ms. Dirks was the best experience in my life,” Maack said.