Girl’s bowling replicating success

Girls bowling team members continue to roll their way to victory

Jacob Lashley

triking a pose — Senior Diamonique Vann bowls at Royal Crest Lanes at the Lawrence Quad tournament. She finished with a 695 series.

By Trey Hulse, Co-Sports Editor

The girls bowling team hopes for an even more successful campaign this season, having as much talent and potential as last year.

This is a high yet attainable goal, as the Lions are reigning Sunflower League champions.

“My goal is to go back to Sunflower League and reclaim our title,” returning varsity bowler Diamonique Vann said.

The start of the year was slow and left the team anxious for competition. Two of the first three meets were postponed, stalling the start of the season and leaving the girls with only having played three tournaments halfway through the season.

The girls team looks forward to displaying its talents throughout the season.

With each frame, we need to build off of each other.

— Diamonique Vann, Senior

“Our goal is to win as many tournaments as possible and to just improve our score overall,” senior Holly Evans said.

In the Free State Invitational, three individuals placed in the top 10 as senior Holly Evans placed fifth (610), sophomore Emilie Rodman placed sixth (598) and senior Diamonique Vann placed seventh (567).

In the Olathe South Quad, the team placed first overall. In the following tournament, the Topeka Seaman Invitational, Vann shot out of the water, scoring a 619 and placing first in scoring between the entire girls and boys programs.

“We still have to work on building together as a team and accumulating our scores, but we are getting there, and we have a strong team,” Vann said.

Regardless of the team’s early season success, it still needs to improve if the Lions plan on winning the league for the second year in a row and making it to state. Standout scores — such as Vann’s 619, Evans 610, Rodman’s 598 and junior Skylar Scrivner’s single game score of 223 — add to the term’s arsenal on the road to the postseason.

“With each frame, we need to build off of each other,” Vann said.