Volleyball wins sub-state, moving on to state tournament

By Trey Hulse, Sports Co-Editor

It was October 21st at the sub-state championship game. After winning the first game in sub-state against Shawnee Mission East, the Lions were one win away from their first state appearance since 2009. Before the second match, the team was anxious to get just one more win.

“We were thinking all we need is one more,” junior Michaela Cordova said. “We got one down and we only need one more.”

The Lions had a solid first set, winning 25-19. However, the Shawnee Mission Northwest Cougars fought back in set two.

“During the second set I got a little nervous but towards the end we found the gear we needed to play in,” junior Hannah Stewart said. “We were ready to win the third set.”

Destined for victory, the team overcame the second set loss (20-25) and won a nail biting third set 25-22. The gym exploded as the final point sailed out, granting the Lions a ticket to state.

“It feels pretty special because our team has been working towards this all season and we haven’t been to state in eight years,” said senior Laurel Bird. “It’s also pretty special that it’s my last year.”

On Friday October 27th, the team will enjoy each other’s company on their trip to Topeka as they take the school day off in preparation for their afternoon games. The players hope to perform their individual roles and end the season with a bang.

The Lions hope that the LHS student body will come out in full force to support them Friday night.

“Everyone needs to come support and be loud and excited for us,” Stewart said. “Just keep helping us reach the next step.”

The Lions (26-11) play three games on Friday at Topeka Expocentre at 4:30pm vs. Washburn Rural (35-5), 5:30pm vs. BV West (33-5), and 7:30pm vs. Garden City (27-8).

Links to pool matchups and bracket:

http://www.kshsaa.org/public/volleyball/pdf/6AState.pdf

http://www.kshsaa.org/Public/ScoreCenter/Brackets/Volleyball/6AState.cfm?Activity=5&Class=6A&WeekID=2632