Football coach of 17 years plans to retire

Coach Dirk Wedd to retire next year

Head football coach Dirk Wedd talks on the sidelines at the City Showdown. Lions lost to Free State 42-7.

Sydney Pritchard

Sydney Pritchard

By Jazzmin Matchette

Dirk Wedd, who has been head coach of the football, golf and baseball teams during his time at LHS, is retiring after the 2017-2018 school year.

Wedd has been a staff member for nearly 27 years. Wedd came to LHS in 1990 ande began coaching the baseball team in 1996, the football team in 1999 and the golf team in 2006. Wedd has enjoyed coaching all three sports.

“Each sport has aspects that I really like,” he said. “Golf is a good change of pace in the spring.”.

During his time here, he spent most of his years here as head football coach, and has worked hard to keep the accomplishments of the Lawrence High football team going. Wedd has an appreciation for the high expectations of staff that make LHS a great school.

“When you coach football at Lawrence High, you’re always aware of the high expectations,” Wedd said. “You walk into that gym everyday and see those 107 State Championships banners hanging there, the goal to continue that tradition weighs heavy on you. But what I love about LHS is you’re surrounded by teachers that have those same expectations in their classrooms. You don’t find that everywhere.”  

There are also a copious amount of memories Wedd has to carry with him after retirement. He said he will miss students and staff when he leaves.“From the greatest teachers, to the kids we teach, to the assistant coaches that put up with me,” he said.

After Wedd retires, he hopes someone else in the Lawrence area will be willing to hire him.

“Hopefully someone in Lawrence will need a old coach,” he said. “Probably for the first time in my life I will need to get a real job. In 27 years here I never thought I was going to work.”

There are success stories that students carry beyond high school that contribute to the lives Wedd has influenced.

“Success stories come 5, 10, or 30 years from now when a student or player sends you a note or a Christmas card telling you thank you or telling you about a new addition to the family or maybe a new and better job.”

While Wedd has spent 26 years teaching and influencing others, there was a thing or two his students taught him over the years.

“[They taught me] to be patient and understanding, but still demand excellence,” he said. “They want to be pushed past their comfort zone. They want to have direction. Discipline is good.”

Wedd said he has had many great memories coaching here, but not every aspect has been fun. He struggled with computer problems from time to time too.

“My computer and having to ask Mr. [Bill] Dewitt or Dr. [Matt] Brungardt, or one of my coaches for help,” Wedd said.

Despite the minor inconveniences of technological problems, Wedd is grateful he got to live out his dream career.

“When you dream about a job at age 15 and then get to live it for so many years, you are so lucky,” he said. “The reason I’ve been able to live my dream for 40 years at Pratt Juco, Wichita State and LHS is one reason. My wife Junior, her love and support, her every confidence that we would be successful never wavered. Both of us being LHS graduates and her being the Cheer and Pom coach for over 20 years here made my job so much easier. Lawrence High is a huge part of our family.”

About the Contributors
Jazzmin Matchette, Photographer
Hi I’m Jazzmin, I’m a senior and this is technically my first year on staff since I moved to Lawrence at the end of the semester last year. I hope to pursue either journalism or international studies after high school, although I don’t know where I want to go to college yet. At school I’m...
Sydney Pritchard, Captions Editor
Hi there! My name is Sydney Pritchard and I’m a junior. I’m the 2017-2018 captions editor for yearbook and newspaper, as well as a photographer! I have been studying French for three years and love science, especially chemistry. In my free time I love watching Futurama with my cat and three dogs. Print