Music department holds annual gala

Nov. 1 marked the 10th anniversary of annual Gala concert

FOCUS+%E2%80%94+Bassist+Meriel+Salisbury%2C+freshman%2C+performs+amongst+her+peers+at+Gala.+%E2%80%9CI+liked+the+playing+the+freshman+piece%2C+The+Tempest%2C%E2%80%9D+Salisbury+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Music department holds annual gala

FOCUS — Bassist Meriel Salisbury, freshman, performs amongst her peers at Gala. “I liked the playing the freshman piece, The Tempest,” Salisbury said.

Cooper Avery

Cooper Avery

Cooper Avery

By Izzy Hedges, Staff Writer

More than 600 students in the music program performed at the annual Gala concert on Nov. 1.

Students in band, choir, pom and orchestra worked toward the combined concert throughout October.

“One thing that we changed this year was having the freshman orchestra and freshman band students play together in the auditorium,” choir director Dwayne Dunn said. “In the past, the strings played in the Rotunda before the concert, and the band played alone in the auditorium. Combining them was pretty exciting.”

UNITY — Randall Frye, assistant choir director, and the music program are applauded by the audience during Gala on Nov. 1. Kaileb Ordiway stood among his peers at his first Gala as a freshman. “It was really cool to listen to everyone’s part as we were singing,” Ordiway said.

Cooper Avery

Gala serves as the department’s largest fundraiser of the year. But with the first KU basketball game on the same night as Gala, there was a chance the concert would not raise as much. Still, the department raised $14,000.

“Gala is unique because it’s the only time the whole music department performs on one night,” senior Mary Reed-Weston said. “It’s a great opportunity for younger students to see what it’s like to be in an advanced music class, and at least for choir, it’s the only time every choir sings together all year.”

Gala is a vital event at Lawrence High because the concert showcases all parts of the music program, providing an opportunity for students to see what each music class has to offer.

“There are tons of unique things about Gala. Gala is a tradition and our school does an excellent job to promote it,” sophomore Tiffani Smith said. “The staff and music department are so amazing and Gala helps unite students to show the importance of all music.”

FAMILY — Bryce Dunn and Brendan Blanco stand with drumline, during the last performance of “Fortune Teller” at Gala. “Having the power and volume of performing in the auditorium is much different than performing on the field,” Dunn said.

Cooper Avery

Gala never ceases to amaze parents and students with an excellent performance. It would not be a success without the support from families of students a part of the music program. The Gala has and continues to display talent within the Lawrence High music department.

“The Gala concert was a big success once again,” Dunn said. “It is always amazing to see how many LHS students participate in music ensembles and to hear them sing and play in combined groups.”

About the Contributors
Izzy Hedges, Yearbook Copy Editor

Hello! My name is Izzy and I'm a senior. I've been on staff since my freshman year, and I'm the yearbook copy editor. I've been involved in choir, cross...

Cooper Avery, Photo Editor

Hi, I'm Cooper, and I'm a senior and current photo editor of the Red and Black yearbook. In my spare time, I work at Noodles and Company and play drums...