Campaign inspires positive relations

Students spend more than 40 hours a week in the halls of Lawrence High, but for some, that is time filled with negativity.

English teacher Shannon Draper hopes to change this through the Be More Awesome campaign she created and sponsors. Inspired by the Kid President Pep Talk video on YouTube, the Be More Awesome campaign aims to encourage kindness among students.

“The campaign is a way to bring the school together,” Draper said. “To celebrate the things that unite us and to encourage and to appreciate what is good about LHS and one another.”

Sophomore Joo-Young Lee, a student manager of the Be More Awesome campaign, agreed.

“It’s trying to make LHS a better community for everyone that’s a part of the LHS community,” Lee said.

One way the campaign aims to do this is through the blue Be More Awesome locker notes that decorate the hallways of Lawrence High. Students can write notes of optimism and gratitude to one another that are posted on lockers or anonymously on a bulletin board.

“We wanted kids to recognize other kids awesomeness in the school and just kind of amp up the positivity,” student manager of the Be More Awesome campaign senior Mackenzie Owens said.

Another way the campaign hopes to spread positivity is through spirit week celebrations and weekly challenges that encourage acts of kindness.

“Through small acts of kindness and encouragement, we can make LHS a place people want to be each day, not just a place they have to be,” Draper said.

Owens and Lee agree with Draper.

“Why wouldn’t you just want to make it an awesome place to be?” Owens said of Lawrence High. “You want to make it so that people enjoy being here.”`

“High school can be not very fun, and this makes it more enjoyable,” Lee said.

Draper’s teaching career has shown her a real need for more positivity and kindness in Lawrence High.

“Over the last few years at LHS I have seen a number of students who seem to be withdrawn from school, ghosts in the hallway and in the classroom, not really engaging with anyone and anything,” Draper explained. “It may be a little naive of me but … I really hope to help change the culture of the school.”

The future of the Be More Awesome campaign is promising as Draper, Lee and Owens look ahead to the rest of the semester and next year. They are planning Be More Awesome campaign commemorative buttons, service projects, and discounts for Lawrence High students at local businesses.

Despite the projected growth of the Be More Awesome campaign, its mission remains unchanged: Be more awesome through positive acts and kindness.

“Above all, be kind,” Draper said. “That is the most awesome thing anyone can do.”