A Day in the Life of a Pommie

[youtube h29kdc7kxtE nolink]

Video by Lily Abromeit and Mallory Thompson

Forget lifting weights. For great exercise, try keeping up with the Pom Squad.
To get the full experience, I tried pom for a day. As I walked into practice, the squad quickly welcomed me and continued with their routines.
Previously involved in dance, I thought bringing back my groove would be easy. I was embarrassingly wrong.
Luckily, sophomore Katie Lomshek precisely knew the choreography. I knew because my eyes were glued to her every step.
Although I was studying her moves and attempting to engrave them into my thoughts, it seemed to make no difference. My reflexes were shot. All my steps were at least three seconds too late and dull to the max. To some, my movements gave the impression of a lack of effort, but panting and dripping beads of sweat on my forehead proved otherwise.
Along with the inconsistent steps, my body chose to be as flexible as a wooden pencil. The girls on the team hit every move sharply and their kicks appeared to be dead-on. Mimicking Lomshek, I began kicking my legs up in hopes of perfection but unsuccessfully danced with ants in my pants.
If I honestly wanted to contribute in practice with pom, I would have to step up my game. Hours of training is put into this competitive sport, and the squad works with determination, compassion and dedication.
Most of our student body doesn’t understand how much effort these girls put into their sport.
“It’s the time commitment,” pom coach Marja Edwardson said. “People don’t realize how much it takes to be good at dance.”
The girls practice everyday during their seventh hour; Tuesdays after school until 5 p.m. and then, that same day, from 6:30-8:30 with the band. After school on Wednesdays, they practice until 4:30. On average, pom trains for about nine hours during the week.
With all of that practice, these ladies pump up LHS students at our football and basketball games when they perform. Their great enthusiasm definitely boosts my spirit and support for our team.