Stimulus money brings short-term relief

For school districts across America, new ways are approaching to give schools an opportunity to get more money from the economic stimulus package. These are federal grants that any district can apply to receive, but the government ultimately determines which district will be presented with these grants.

Schools have faced major budget cuts because of the poor economy. When the economy falters, tax revenues are lower because businesses and families are making less money to be taxed. Lawrence schools have had to make very controversial budget cuts such as reducing the number of students who qualify to ride the school buses.

Major budget cuts will be faced in the future as the economy struggles to improve. To counterbalance the serious difficulties schools are facing and to provide the services and programs people have come to expect, the federal government is offering economic stimulus dollars to schools that meet the government’s criteria.

The economic stimulus package is short-term and will not provide long-term budget relief. Some schools may be afraid to take advantage of money for programs they know may not be sustained. The point of the economic stimulus money is to improve the economy so the tax revenues that support schools will increase.

The battles between schools for federal grants are becoming very competitive. Schools must meet special criteria to receive them. Next year, the budget cuts are predicted to be anywhere from $1.2 million to $1.6 million. This year, USD 497 has released only half of its schools’ instructional and professional developmental funds.

Federal funding is distributed to all schools in Kansas based on formulas (formula grants calculate the exact amount a given recipient should receive) and eligibility. Individual schools do not apply for these funds. This is done at the district level and Kathy Johnson, Finance Division Director for USD 497, said that the district did apply for federal grants.

Typically, USD 497 and neighboring districts will receive formula grants and federal stabilization money. Based on the most recent revenue estimates from the state, it is expected that funding will be reduced. From what department, how much, and when, have not yet been determined.

“[They] will make a decision when the time comes,” Superintendent Rick Doll said.

As of now nearly every district is suffering, some more than others, but there is definitely a decrease in state revenue.

“If the governor cuts our funds again, we may be faced with another round of cuts mid-year,” Doll said.