Doubling Up on Spring Sports

Sophomores compete in both varsity track and varsity soccer

Juggling+responsibilities+%E2%80%94+Sophomores+Evan+Seratte+and+Leslie+Ostronic+lie+on+the+football+field+during+a+track+meet.+

McKenna White.

Juggling responsibilities — Sophomores Evan Seratte and Leslie Ostronic lie on the football field during a track meet.

By William Yanek, Online Editor

Some students participate in one, maybe two activities each year. Others take on one sport per season and maybe a club or two.

Sophomores Leslie Ostronic and Evann Seratte, however, have dedicated themselves to two varsity sports this spring: soccer and track.

Ostronic is approaching this season with big goals.

“For soccer, I hope our program keeps improving, and in track I just hope to make it to state with my team,” Ostronic said. “I did not do track last year, but they did really well at state, and in soccer, the program is building because we got a new coach, and he is making some great changes to the program.”

On the soccer team, Ostronic holds it down at outside defense, and in her first year of track she competes at the varsity level in the 4 by 800 meter relay and the open 800 meter race.

As for Evann Serrate, she plays as an outside midfielder and runs the 4 by 800, the 4 by 400, the open 400 and will likely compete in the open 800.

These athletes must do many things to prepare for their respective seasons.

“I try to do stuff for my classes ahead of time because I’m going to be busy in the spring, so I try to stay on top of it and come in early on Wednesdays,” Serrate said. “And playing winter sports like basketball helps me condition for the season.”

Playing two sports in the same season is a time commitment. As a result, Ostronic and Serrate often miss track or soccer practices for events happening in the other sport. Surprisingly, according to Ostronic and Seratte, their coaches and teammates have been fairly open to the idea, despite its setbacks.

“My coaches have been really supportive about it,” Serrate said. “A lot of people have told me to choose one [sport] and focus on it, but I like playing both. All my friends and teammates are really supportive. They’re really impressed I’m able to do both.”

With playing two sports also comes the physical and mental toll. Having to rush from soccer practices to hard track workouts five days a week, culminating in soccer games and track meets dispersed throughout the month can be taxing, Ostronic said.

“Mentally, it can be a little bit stressful because I have so much going on,” Ostronic said. “Physically, you get sore because you’re doing so much, but overall, it’s just a lot of fun.”

Despite the difficulties of balancing two sports, Ostronic said that playing both benefits her.

“I think it’s good to play multiple sports because it means you’re well rounded, and you’re athletic in many different ways,” Ostronic said. “Sports are related at so many different levels, so you can bring things from one sport, and it will help you out in the another sport.”